Monday, February 13, 2006

Health Update

Some of you have been expressing an interest (and concern) for my health, so I thought I'd offer a quick update.

The bad news is that I still have stones that need to be passed. According to the latest imaging, some of them are over a centimeter in length. My urologist has made it very clear that I do not want to attempt to pass those unassisted. Towards that end I'm scheduled for lithotripsy this Friday.

Lithotripsy is a technique where they use sound waves to break up the stones while the patient is submerged in water. I was somewhat hopeful that this would involve a hot tub and some Enya but it is, apparently, a rather intense experience, which is why I shall be going under general anesthetic (as opposed to being generally unaesthetic) during the process. The good news is that it is an outpatient procedure so I will be able to limp home to recover. Because I'm working for the government, I'll get a three-day weekend to recover (although I may go in to work a few hours to make up for lost time).

Do wish me luck.

No comments:

what is this?

Tell me when this blog is updated. . .